Well, the Academy of Higher Learning, i.e. the Hannah homeschool, is officially started for this year. All went pretty well today. After morning chores, Dan's toilet training, giving the baby his cereal, starting a load of laundry and the dish washer, checking my emails, and eating breakfast; we were ready to go. Seems the teacher (me--:) ) missed a few needed items during preparation time, like pencils for instance. Oops!!! There were a couple to share, but we will have to get some this week. For the most part, we use the Charlotte Mason style. This involves short lessons, living books-books about real people or time periods, nature walks, fine arts--composer/artist study, handicrafts-useful projects, Shakespeare/Plutarch, musical instrument practice, hymn/folksong/poetry; in addition to the regular subjects. Most of the curriculum is written out for me at www.amblesideonline.org Very helpful. Then we throw in our own stuff like Bible, character study, life skills, etc. I think I enjoy our family book readings as much /or more than the children. To snuggle on the couch and read a book together or go on a nature walk and enjoy God's beautiful creations; aaahhh, good times. I will cherish these years together long after the children leave our home.
Well, it will take a bit of time to work out all the kinks,but we are off and running. I have a few more students this year to enjoy. I sure am blessed. Thank you Lord.
Here's a quote that stuck with me from one of our readings today. It was by William Carey. "Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God. " I really like that.
until next time,
Vickie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm an AO user too! Nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you too.
Post a Comment