Saturday, August 16, 2008

updates

I really enjoy reading other's daily posts, but seem to have a harder time posting myself. Let's see what is new with us. We made a trip to the old order mennonite (live like the Amish-no electricity, horse drawn carriages, etc.) community for fruits and vegetables. Jack chose the largest watermelon I have ever seen. The family we buy our beef and chickens from had been interested in our adoption process. A new map was purchased by the family to find Serbia on it. They were very interested in meeting our new children and hearing about our adventures. Many questions were asked. It was a real nice visit. They are such nice people.
Dejan is really starting to get active and show his little personality. His new talent this week has been learning to spit. Not exactly the skill I would have chosen for him to learn, but I'll take what I get. One of his favorite activities now is to stand on his high chair (which he is not supposed to do) and spit down onto the floor (which he is also not supposed to do). Although we are glad for his new abilities, it seems to get him in trouble. I will say the spitting does come in handy during tooth brushing time. No more swallowing the paste for Dejan. Yeah.
He has also begun to run and mess around more. Like most children at the developmental stage of around 1 yr. old, they fall down a lot. I know this is normal, but not a good thing whenever our 6 mth. post adoption apptmt. is next week. Most social workers do not look real positively at little boys heads being cut from falling into the stove the week before. UUgghh! For some reason Dejan is not following my rule of no injuries or bug bites until after the social worker comes.
What other interesting tidbits can I share. I opened the dryer tonight to find the family cat locked inside. Thank you Truman(3 yrs. old). No you are not in "truber" as you call it, but don't let it happen again. It is not exactly the place I would have chosen for the kitty to sleep this evening. Glad I found her shortly after she was put in there.
Danijela went with me to the city market today. She was told before exiting the van, stay with mamma and don't touch anyone. Well she accomplished the first part of the request. Upon reaching the first row of vendors, I turn around to see her holding out her hand and brushing it along everyone who walks by. NO, no no!! The rest of the time went well until the last stand I stopped at. I am speaking to the vendor, choosing my peaches and green bean amounts, paying the woman, and receiving my items. As I turn to leave after speaking to the vendor woman, I notice Danijela eating the grapes that are set out for display. Oh my !!! Yes they did look tasty, but we do not eat the people's food they set out. Needless to say, we must continue to work on how to act in public. The grape thing, not a big deal. Just a teachable moment. The whole going up to strangers and wanting attention/affection, standing close to strangers, touching strangers, etc. ; that is a problem. I know it will take time, but we must help them to overcome this. Please feel free to share ideas on how to improve this.
Well I better go. Hope you all have a great week.

No comments: