Monday, October 27, 2008

camping

I guess I better post again. Wow, Oct. has flown by! Let me catch you up to date on our happenings. The month started off with our annual homeschool campout. My husband has never been able to go due to work, so the children and I go it alone. In the past it has always gone well. I knew this year might be a challenge. We planned to stay for 2 days and 1 night. Just a short trip. Our first day at camp all was going well until Truman decided to play in the grill pit. He was told to get out of the pit 4 times; while I was beside him changing 2 of the children's diapers. All of a sudden I hear a blood curdling scream from Truman. I knew that couldn't be good. I'll spare you the details but the iron grill came real close to taking part of his finger off. I am known for mostly treating the children's ailments at home, but this episode required a trip to the ER for 2 stitches to sew his finger back together. UUgghh!! I called my husband after the fact to tell him the news. His thoughts were "2 stitches; that can't be that bad". After we got home though he saw that 2 stitches can be a pretty big deal if they are holding the finger back together. Now, several weeks later, his finger is healing nicely. He will lose the nail, but another will grow in its place. The rest of the finger looks real good. Thank you Lord.
The other difficulty with the ER trip was what to do with the rest of the children. Well, baby has to go with mom (the food supply). The older 2 stayed at camp with some of our friends. They were off on a trail when the accident happened. There wasn't time to wait for them to get back to camp. This left me with 4 others to take with me. One of the other moms offered to go with me. Thank you Barbara. It was not until the ordeal was over that I thought about how Dan and Daniella would act with her. I knew Zarah would do fine. Dan was a bit active, but he did o.k. Daniella was down right disobedient. OH NO!! If you followed along with our time in Serbia, you know she gave us fits with her behavior there. From the second we drove away from the orphanage though, she has done nothing but be totally obedient, so I didn't think about her acting up . I didn't give it much thought before, but I guess she doesn't see the need to obey someone unless they have established authority with her. Now I know. Too late to save Barbara from a 3 hour ER nightmare though. Sorry Barbara!! Now, we know and I will be more conscience of it and act accordingly.
The camera did make it to camp, but the batteries were dead. No camping pictures this year. We did end up staying the rest of our time; after a short trip to Wal-Mart to get pain medicine and band aides. I already had the tea tree oil packed, so we were set.
The rest of the trip went well, and a good time was had by all. The finger didn't slow Truman down much at all. What a tough little guy.

No comments: