Monday, October 27, 2008

New Names

After a few difficulties, I received D & D's U.S. birth certificates in the mail this week. Yeah!! We did not change their Serbian names, but we did change the spelling. We wanted to give them the English spelling of their names, so everyone would pronounce it correctly. We also gave them a middle name. All our boys have a name that starts with a "J". For some this is their first name; other it is their middle name. This explains Dan's middle name.
As for Daniella, we named her after my paternal grandmother. Matt always gives the kids a nickname. He decided to call Daniella "ruby jean". Not for any particular reason; just because. She loves being called that name. So when we were trying to decide on Daniella's middle name, I called her Ruby Jean; and then stopped. Why couldn't we give her Jean as a middle name. She seems very happy with her new name.
Now, I just have to get their social security number /card and change the spelling of their name on the insurance cards; and I think I am done. Hopefully.
We are not going to change the spelling of their name on their Certificate of Citizenship papers. They want to charge several hundred dollars to do that. We certainly do not want to pay a bunch of money for that.
It seems so weird to let go of that tie to Serbia. I don't know why, but it is a little sad to me. We still speak some Serbian to the children. I would like for them to continue to be bilingual. Matt doesn't care for them to remember the Serbian. I would like for us to take a family trip to Serbia when the children are older. If we all can't go, at least for D & D to be able to go back for a short visit. I don't know if they will want to or not. It could be a sad trip for them. I don't know if their birth family would receive them very kindly. I could be wrong, but that makes me sad. They are such wonderful children. I imagine their birth family has some very nice people. I so would have liked to visit with the birth family. Just to see what they were like and how they felt/viewed everything. That was not an option though . I am very thankful for the info we received about them; and the birth mom's picture. That will have to be enough. I do pray for their mom though. She looked much older than her actual age. I hope she has had a good life, but I don't know if she has. Only God knows, and I pray that he takes care of her. I am very thankful to her for the 2 blessings she carried and delivered. I know that no one is allowed to go with the mom into the hospital or allowed to visit while she is there. That alone would be scary / lonely to me. Part of the fun is to be able to celebrate the new baby with friends/family visitors. Serbia does it quite differently though. I guess I better go for now.
Have a good week.

No comments: