Wednesday, January 14, 2009

enjoy the little things

Hi,
I just wanted to share some of the accomplishments going on around our home. Let's start with Dan (3 ).
1. I was thrilled when he ate his first hot dog today. Yeah Dan!!!! He has some sensory issues, so this is big with him. He has always had issues with any type of firm roundish food in his mouth (peas, hot dogs, green beans, etc.) He mastered the vegetables several months ago --although he does save them for last, out of protest. Too funny. That's o.k. As long as he eats them, we don't mind. Now he has conquered the hot dog. Yeah!!! I know typically hot dogs are not the most healthy food, but we buy the all beef ones without any hormones/nitrites/nitrates in them. The importance of this issue is that he is overcoming some of his sensory issues. That is great!!
2. He has started to try to mimic a few sounds correctly. He started his sound therapy last week, and it seems to be helping. Yeah, getting closer to talking.!!
3. He now is using his spoon and fork to eat with and drinking out of a straw. Super!!!!
4. He is running( sort of a mid-speed lope, but hey that is great.)
Hoping he has more success with the toilet training this yr, we'll see. I would even be thrilled if "#2" could at least be done solely in the toilet.

Now for Daniella(7):
1.She is very close to being at a 4 y/o level with her memory work. Yeah, that is almost a 2 yr. growth in just 4 mths. Super!!!
2. getting joy out of life-- Last week we had a warm day. We all went out and flew kites. Daniella took off running down the sidewalk with the kite following close behind. After a few seconds, I yelled to her. "Daniella, it is flying." She turned her head to see with a big smile on her face and kept running. Then a couple of seconds later, she yells, "Wow!!!". We all got a good laugh out of it. We all need to find the joy in the little things like her. Children are such a blessing. They help remind us to enjoy life. Thank you Lord for allowing Matt and I to have such blessings (children) in our lives.
til next time,
have a great day,
Vickie

1 comment:

Trisha, Duane, and Family said...

Hi Vicki...Gotta say the post about things going on in America right now..you are not alone. It has greatly been a source of mental agony to Duane and I. The fact that we have noticed this recession junk for the last year is very irritating that the government just confessed to it recently...urg. I also completely agree about the fact that the government (CYFD...the all powerful Nazi type kiddie police within the gov) thinks they know more about my kids than I do. Many parents live under a "fear to discipline" their children. It is ridiculus how easily these people (CYFD) can make a substantiation against a parent!!! Further....the lack of appropriate academic stimulation for a child who does not fit into the expected mold of the public schools makes me sick!!! Precisely why mine are protectively being educated at home and safe from the worldly thinking about families of same sex, abortion, and freedom to have premarital sex, and protected from the brutal claws of the CYFD...etc....we completely are troubled by this. Unfortunately, our country is very quickly headed into a socialistic society....very sadly at the hands of this new president. Okay...I just must express my agreement and I really don't care who wishes to flame me as my beliefs and morals will remain strong. THANK YOU for standing up and talking about yours. Your "tops" in my book. Many blessings and lots of love to the family....Trisha